"The Happiest City in America"
San Luis Obispo
The best of the best
Between year round sunshine and warm weather, a world-class wine region, thousands of acres of protected open space, and an award-winning downtown, it’s no wonder San Luis Obispo has been honored by several designations over the years, appearing on numerous “best-of” lists.
Making official what locals already know:
- One of the most romantic cities in America
- The Happiest City in America (Oprah, National Geographic, Readers Digest)
- Best main street
- Best place to visit
- Best college town
More activities to explore in San Luis Obispo:
- Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa – resides in downtown San Luis Obispo and remains a working parish church. The Mission is the root of San Luis Obispo’s history. San Luis Creek was the original water source for the Mission and still winds through Mission Plaza, a central meeting ground for town festivals, fairs, and other celebrations.
- Farmers’ Market – takes place every Thursday from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. It is now the second largest farmers’ market in the western United States spanning six blocks and featuring farm-fresh produce, flowers, barbeques, art, crafts, and charming entertainment.
- Bubblegum Alley – recently featured on National Geographic’s Strange Planet travel trivia, this site is one of SLO’s can’t-miss attractions.